NOT TO BE MISSED
Village belonging to Parque Cultural del Chopo Cabecero.
Complement your visit with:
At your way:
On a large scale – go to page
The path of the cold – go to page
El Pobo, Castelfrio Fortifications – go to page
El Pobo, Hoyalta Refuges – go to page
Route of the Virgen del Campo – go to page
Source of the river Mijares – go to page
Route of the Alcamines – go to page
Altitude: 1.314 M
How to get there?
Camarillas is 55 km from Teruel. Take the A 226 road up to Puerto de Cabigordo and turn off towards El Pobo on the local road. See Map
Fauna: Camarillas is within a Bird Protection Area (ZEPA). In the Camarillas area, we can find the Ganga Ortega , the Dupont’s Lark, Peregrine Falcon and Merlin Falcon, among others.
The source of the river Camerón…- Las Toscas ravine…- La Penilla fountain…- Las Calderetas…- La Sima.
The banks of the river Penilla.
La Hoz de las calderetas: A pond and several waterfalls that arise from the union of the river Penilla with the Alfambra. It is a landscape of great natural interest.
Route of the Virgen del Campo.(Galve-Jorcas).It follows entirely the route of the PR-TE-51; hiking trail that goes from Galve, passing through Camarillas, Aguilar de Alfambra towards Jorcas.
The viewpoint route. It reaches Camarillas from Jorcas and continues towards Aguilar de Alfambra. This route is 200 km long and runs through the Comarca of Teruel.
HISTORICAL AND CULTURAL HERITAGE
Church of the Virgen del Castillo. The town has two churches dedicated to the Virgen del Castillo. The first of these is in a state of ruin and awaiting restoration, some of its ashlars being used for the construction of the later parish church (18th century), where its decoration with ivory inlays stands out
The hermitage of San Roque, from the 16th century. Baroque-Mudejar style of masonry and stonework with a nave covered with a half-barrel vault. The atrium that preceded it was supported by four columns, with outstanding woodwork. It has recently been closed off to increase the hermitage’s capacity.
The hermitage of the Virgen del Campo (Historic-Artistic Monument). Baroque construction from the XVII and XVIII centuries, consisting of three naves, the main chapel with its beautiful gold decoration and mural paintings, which has earned it the distinction of being considered a Historical Artistic Monument
The hermitage of San Cristóbal, currently in ruins
The hermit’s house, included in the complex of the Virgen del Campo hermitage (16th-17th century).
The medieval aqueduct from the 15th century. Made of ashlar with pointed arches.
Old castle from the 14th century. It dominates the town from the top of the hill, occupying a relatively extensive fortified enclosure. Nowadays, part of the castle is in ruins, only the base of the wall is preserved and the castle itself is better preserved.
Several houses in Calle del Olmo and Calle de la Herrería (17th and 18th centuries), including the Barberanes house and the Miedes house (16th century), the Casa de la Fuente, the Palaciega…
Fountain, 18th century. Built in ashlar with a semicircular arch and pediment. It has a trough and an inscription 1738.
Old Fountain, 16th century. Renaissance. It was built in ashlar masonry with a barrel vault. It has an inscription dated 1547.
Washhouse. Rectangular construction with three semicircular arches. The washhouses located inside are made of ashlar.
El Granero House s. XVl -XVll. XVl -XVll. Granary of popular origin.
Refrigerator s. XVII- XVIII. . Ice well made of masonry and with an approximation vault.
Peirón. Of three bodies, made of masonry and cement in the upper part.
Trading hall, 18th century. A single-storey building, whose trading hall is formed by two lowered arches supported by an octagonal column. On the façade there is a coat of arms with the date of construction 1772, and the building is finished off with a wooden eave.
Roman Iberian site “El Cabecico”.
FESTIVALS AND TRADITIONS
Festivities of San Antón. 17th January. Held on the nearest weekend.
Traditional “trance”, in which the food that the fiestas committee has been collecting in the village is auctioned off in order to raise money for the fiesta. In the past, ‘albadas’ of very ancient origin were sung to San Antonio Abad at the door of the church, with verses referring to the life of the saint and the events that took place in the village.
Festivals of Nuestra Señora de la Asunción and San Roque. The first or second week of August. On Sunday a pilgrimage to the hermitage of La Virgen del Campo takes place, where at the end of the mass the “gozos” are sung and blessed bread is distributed.
Holy Week. At Easter, people go to the sanctuary for the second time, the dedication of which has a confraternity already documented in 1374.