Morrón de la Tejería. Camañas
Morrón de la Tejería
This place was a provisional troop withdrawal post. Along it we find numerous and discontinuous trench branches, approximately three meters long. Currently six of them are conditioned.
Contextualization in the conflict:
The Republican defensive line ran parallel to Sierra Palomera and then headed northwards passing through the Argente, Lidón and Pancrudo mountains. In front of it, the Nationalist lines followed the course of the road, consolidating their positions in Villarquemado, Torremocha, Torrelacárcel and Singra. The most important attack in this area took place at the end of January 1938, during the Battle of Teruel, when the 27th Division tried to cut off Franco’s communication routes at Singra, starting from the Aguatón pass.
There were four passes that linked the fortified camp, located in Sierra Palomera, with the villages of the Republican rearguard. These were the military track at Alfambra, the road that connects the valley with Aguatón, the straits that cross the sierra via Peña Blanca and those that cross via the hermitage of the Virgen del Castillo. All of them were fortified, although the machine gun nests built in concrete defending the intermediate passes of the line, which are now in ruins, were particularly noteworthy.
On 5 February 1938, with the Alfambra offensive, carried out by General Monasterio’s cavalry forces, the fall of the entire Republican line in the sierra would be precipitated by the forces of the 82nd Brigade and the 151st Mixed Brigade.
Access is from the TE-V- 1009 road (on the section that joins the village with the TE-V-1008 road (Santa Eulalia – Alfambra). We leave the village and after 5 km a signpost indicates that we must take a road to the right. Follow the directional signs until you reach an area set aside as a car park. From here we continue on foot for a few metres until we reach the trench branches.